Saturday, May 7, 2016

List Of Popular British Words

I was having a nice conversation with myself musing over a comment  who you can find at  S Bradleystoner.Authur cautioning me about a certain British word meaning something different over there, which got me to thinking about when I used to be a C.M. (Chat Monitor) for a certain site that was solely British customers.

Not only was the five-hour difference in time zones were difficult to remember, the conversations were a little hard to understand but slowly over time I began to learn the lingo. Oh, the laughs we all had for I'm quite good-natured most of the time not minding laughing along with everyone.Those words I still use to this day so here is the list of what I learned. Some of these words or word
differences could be construed as cuss words, I plead the 5th!

  •  Tosser – Idiot
  •  Cock-up – Screw up
  •  Bloody – Damn
  •  Give You A Bell – Call you
  •  Blimey! – My Goodness
  •  Wanker – Idiot
  •  Gutted – Devastated
  •  Chuffed – Proud
  •  Fancy – Like
  •  Sod Off – Piss off
  •  Lost the Plot – Gone Crazy
  •  Fortnight – Two Weeks
  •  Sorted – Arranged
  •  Hoover – Vacuum
  •  Kip – Sleep or nap
  •  Bee’s Knees – Awesome
  •  Know Your Onions – Knowledgeable
  •  Dodgy – Suspicious
  •  Wonky – Not right
  •  Wicked – Cool!
  •  Whinge – Whine
  •  Tad – Little bit
  •  Tenner – £10
  •  Fiver – £5
  •  Skive – Lazy or avoid doing something
  •  Toff – Upper-Class Person
  •  Scouser – Someone from Liverpool
  •  Quid – £
  •  Taking the Piss – Screwing around
  •  Pissed – Drunk
  •  Loo – Toilet
  •  Nicked – Stolen
  •  Nutter – Crazy Person


I remember those days very fondly making loads of new friends.

What do you think of my little list?